Sign in

Karnataka HC takes exception to Centre’s repeated pleas to adjourn Twitter hearing

Noting that the matter is important, justice Krishna S Dixit remarked, “We are not at the government’s dictation like that. I don’t agree… What people will think? We are not at your beck and call. How many times you have taken adjournment, see the order sheet.”

Updated on: Jan 10, 2023, 03:46:13 IST
By , New Delhi
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

The Karnataka high court on Monday took a dim view of the Union government’s repeated requests to adjourn a plea by microblogging website Twitter challenging the blocking orders of 39 accounts.

The Karnataka high court said it would not give more than one week to the Centre and posted the matter for hearing on January 18. (PTI)
The Karnataka high court said it would not give more than one week to the Centre and posted the matter for hearing on January 18. (PTI)

Noting that the matter is important, justice Krishna S Dixit remarked, “We are not at the government’s dictation like that. I don’t agree… What people will think? We are not at your beck and call. How many times you have taken adjournment, see the order sheet.”

The remark comes after the counsel appearing for the Union government again requested to adjourn the case either on January 27 or February 3.

The court said it would not give more than one week to the Centre and posted the matter for hearing on January 18.

The last effective hearing took place on October 27 last year when the microblogging website had told the court that authorities should communicate the reasons for blocking of an account, adding that non-disclosure impinges on the right to free speech and expression.

Arguing the plea against the blocking orders of 39 accounts by the Union government, Twitter had told Justice Dixit that there is no difference between a reasoned order and speaking order as both require reasons, so that aggrieved can make up his mind to challenge or not.

The petitioner’s counsel had concluded his arguments and the Centre’s counsel had sought time to prepare their arguments, following which matter was listed on November 16, 2022 when additional solicitor general MB Nargund was to argue.

However, hearing did not take place on that day and matter was listed for December 12. On that day, the Centre sought an adjournment and the case was listed for January 9, 2023.

On Monday, as the Centre’s counsel again sought adjournment, the court got irked even though it posted the matter for January 18.

Twitter had moved the high court after the Union electronics and information technology ministry, through a notice on June 26 last year, warned it of penal action against its chief compliance officer, and granted it last opportunity to comply with a series of blocking orders issued in 2021.

The company argued that the orders are procedurally and substantially deficient of Section 69A (of the Information Technology Act) requirements and that they demonstrate excessive use of powers, adding that they are disproportionate.

The Union government has emphasised before the Karnataka high court, defending its power to block “unverified, untraceable and anonymous” Twitter users.

The government contended the social media company was “not taking effective steps to prevent the spread of fake news or deliberate misinformation, and as such, misinformation content relating to sovereignty and integrity, national security or public order related issues are on the rise.”