Kurnool quarry blast toll rises to 11, Andhra Pradesh govt orders probe
While 10 people died on the spot, another worker died while undergoing treatment at Aluru hospital on Saturday morning.Updated: Aug 04, 2018 19:22 IST
The Andhra Pradesh government on Saturday announced a multi-department inquiry into Friday night’s explosion in a stone quarry Hathi Belegal village in Kurnool district which killed 11 workers and injured eight others.
The police and the departments of mining and revenue will conduct the probe.
While 10 people died on the spot, another worker died while undergoing treatment at Aluru hospital on Saturday morning. The condition of at least two workers is said to be serious.
The police registered a non-bailable case against Srinivasa Chowdary, a local Telugu Desam Party leader who owns the stone quarry, under Section 304 (II) of the Indian Penal Code for culpable homicide not amounting to murder. Chowdary has been absconding since the blast at the quarry.
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the kin of the deceased. Home minister N Chinna Rajappa, who visited the accident spot along with Director General of Police R P Thakur, said the government would also order the quarry management to pay additional compensation to the victims’ families.
According to the initial probe by the police, Srinivasa Chowdary had been granted licence only for one unit, but he had been undertaking quarrying in two other sites without permission.
“It was also found that he has not been maintaining proper records of the workers he had engaged. Though storing and usage of detonators is illegal, he has been allegedly using the same. We have ordered an inquiry into all these activities and take stern action against the quarry owners, irrespective of their political affiliations,” Rajappa said.
First Published: Aug 04, 2018 19:22 IST