Relief for death row prisoner, 8 others on 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
In a special gesture on the occasion of 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi relief has been provided to nearly 1500 prisoners in varios jails of the country.
On the occasion of 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev government has decided to grant a special dispensation to nine Sikh prisoners from various jails in the country. In one case, the death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, and in remaining eight cases, decision was taken to release prisoners serving life sentences and other sentences through special remission, reports ANI.
Also, to commemorate 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi so far 1424 prisoners have been released by states and Union Territories in 2 phases (2nd Oct 2018 & 6th April 2019). Third phase of release is due on 2nd Oct 2019.
Remission of sentence is usually granted to deserving prisoners on specials days such as Independence and Republic days for unblemished behaviour as an inmate. The state government’s usually draw up a list at a high-level meeting, which is then sent to the Governor for approval.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The situation in the Ladakh sector remains tense and the ongoing military and diplomatic dialogue has not yielded results.
- A school teacher said more than 200 cows destroyed the kitchen garden and at least 100 plants of flowers, fruits and medicinal plant in the school premises.
- The circular said that all officers and personnel as well as CAPF and any other force deployed for the Republic Day Parade security arrangements should be made aware and be prepared that they will be required for law and order arrangements immediately after the official celebration is over.
- Delhi traffic police requested road users to accordingly plan their journies and avoid the route of parade and tableaux, from 4 am to 12:30 pm for their own convenience.
- According to the FIR registered by the police, the estimated value of the tiger skin that was seized is ₹40 lakh in the international market.
- One CA was arrested on Saturday along with four businessmen in Jaipur for operating 25 fake firms to fraudulently avail and pass on input tax credit.