Six wounded in scuffle and stabbing incident at Kashmir University
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Six wounded in scuffle and stabbing incident at Kashmir University

Officials of Kashmir University said that one of the students pulled out a knife and stabbed other students a day after a group had complained against rash driving inside the campus.

india Updated: Apr 26, 2018 21:56 IST
Ashiq Hussain
Ashiq Hussain
Hindustan Times, Srinagar

Atleast six students were injured, three of them allegedly stabbed by a fellow-student, in a scuffle between two groups in Kashmir University on Thursday, varsity officials said.

Chief proctor of the university, Naseer Iqbal, said the incident happened a day after a group of students of the law department complained against another student for rash driving inside the campus.

“In the morning, when I reached the department, I saw students were crying. Some six students were wounded; three of them had stab wounds,” Iqbal said.

Officials said that a scuffle erupted between sixth-semester and eighth-semester students of the law department. They said that one of the students pulled out a knife and stabbed other students.

Iqbal said that it was not clear who was involved in the stabbing and no one has been arrested.

At least 15 students are said to have fainted during the incident which created a panic in the campus.

Classes were suspended in the department for the day.

“A high-level committee has been constituted to ascertain the cause of the incident and submit its report within two days with specific recommendations for further action in the matter,” the public relations office of the university said in a statement.

In an unrelated incident, security forces lobbed tear gas shells to disperse protesting students at the Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST) in south Kashmir’s Awantipora.

Eyewitnesses said that students came out of the classes after they heard gunshots outside the campus.

Police said that army outside the campus had fired in the air to chase away a group of stone-pelting youth.

Later, police and CRPF personnel fired tear gas shells inside the campus to disperse the students.

A police spokesperson said that the army personnel were repairing a cable near Islamic University Road and “came under heavy stone pelting by the miscreants and also from inside the campus of IUST”.

“The army personnel fired in air to chase the miscreants away. Police party rushed to the spot to control the situation. Army was immediately withdrawn from the area. Miscreants continued pelting stones on the police,” the statement said.

“To control the severe and unprovoked pelting by the miscreants, police used few tear smoke shells to disperse the mob. Miscreants also set ablaze the cable rolls being laid by the Army,” it added.

First Published: Apr 26, 2018 21:56 IST