Supreme Court collegium says no to widening consultations for HC appointments
The Supreme Court collegium, head by CJI JS Khehar, has rejected the government proposal to widen the ‘zone of consultation’ while selecting candidates to appoint as HC judges.india Updated: Mar 28, 2017 19:17 IST
The Supreme Court collegium is learnt to have rejected a government proposal to widen the consultation process while selecting candidates to appoint as high court judges.
The clause on widening the “zone of consultation” was part of the memorandum of procedure the government had sent to the collegium last year.
But in its recent response, the collegium headed by Chief Justice of India JS Khehar has said no to the clause.
The government wanted the memorandum of procedure to state that sitting judges of the high court, senior lawyers and advocates general of the respective states will suggest names of candidate to the collegium for elevation to the Bench.
But the collegium was of the unanimous view that the authority of naming candidates should remain with the high court collegium and not go outside.
Since January last year, the government and the apex court are trying to finalise the Memorandum of Procedure -- a document to guide appointment of judges to the higher judiciary.
There are two memorandums of procedure -- one for the Supreme Court and the other for the 24 high courts.
While rejecting the National Judicial Appointments Commission Act, the SC had agreed to revise the memorandum of procedure to usher in more transparency in appointment of judges to the SC and HCs.
The new law had sought to overturn the over two-decade-old collegium system where judges appoint judges. It had sought a say for the executive in appointment of judges.
The national security clause and the secretariat clause are part of the draft MoP which has been shuttling between the government and the collegium since March 22, 2016.
First Published: Mar 28, 2017 19:16 IST