2 singed in cotton unit fire
A MAJOR fire broke out at a cotton factory on Sanver Road early Friday, damaging bales and singeing two workers. Another worker broke his legs when he jumped off the first floor of the factory building in panic.india Updated: Oct 28, 2006 15:38 IST
A MAJOR fire broke out at a cotton factory on Sanver Road early Friday, damaging bales and singeing two workers. Another worker broke his legs when he jumped off the first floor of the factory building in panic.
The fire broke out at BMR Enterprises, situated at 93 B, Sector E, Sanver Road, around 5.30 am. The flames quickly leaped through cotton bales. Nabi Hussain and Maksood Hafiz, who were sleeping there, sustained burn injuries. Maqbool Hafiz, who was at the factory office on the first floor, was trapped amid flames which had engulfed the stairs. To escape the flames leaping up to him, he jumped to the ground in panic breaking his legs.
Employees called the fire brigade and they battled the raging fire for more than three hours before it was extinguished. Both the burn victims and the injured worker were taken to the Aurobindo Hospital.
Factory owners Rajesh and Manish Jain said cotton bales and the shed were completely damaged. They could not say how the fire started, and neither the fire brigade personnel. As the area did not have power when the fire started, short circuit could not be a possible reason.
First Published: Oct 28, 2006 15:38 IST