New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Mar 28, 2020-Saturday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi


30 bags of infant remains dug out

Around 30 polythene bags full of bones and body parts were recovered from the pit in the backyard of a clinic, reports Himansu S Sahoo.

india Updated: Jul 23, 2007 04:04 IST
Himansu S Sahoo
Himansu S Sahoo
Hindustan Times

Incidents of female infanticide are assuming alarming proportions with more skeletons tumbling out. On Sunday, an investigation into one such incident led the police to a garbage pit in Nayagarh town, 90 km from here, from where a large number of skulls and body parts of newborns were recovered.

Around 30 polythene bags full of bones and body parts were recovered from the pit in the backyard of a clinic. The recovery was made when the police and Crime Branch officials were conducting searches in some private nursing homes and clinics in connection with the recent dumping of the bodies of seven baby girls near a hill.

"The number of skulls and body parts found in the pit may increase as the search is still on. At this point, we cannot say if the dumping was done illegally or if it is part of a racket. The Crime Branch is looking into the matter and only after proper verification of facts will we be able to say anything concrete," said DGP Amaranand Patnaik.

On Saturday, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had ordered a Crime Branch probe into the dumping of the seven bodies in the foothills Duburi, near Nayagarh.

Crime Branch SP Debendra Satpathy told HT: "We took charge of the investigation only today and recovered the skulls and body parts with the help of the police. Apart from trying to find out the source, we are verifying whether the remains recovered are linked to female infanticide or a human organ trade racket in any way.”

As for the seven bodies, the police are yet to recover them. Though some TV and news photographers had managed to take pictures of them, some time around July 14, they had vanished by the time the police got there.