Baba Amte laid to rest
Noted social activist and Gandhian Baba Amte was given a full state funeral at his Anandvan ashram this morning in the presence of thousands of his admirers and mourners from across the state.
A 21-gun salute was given to the country's most respected social leaders as his mortal remains were lowered in a grave near the bamboo plantation in the ashram complex amidst a solemn atmosphere.
Mourners raised slogans "Baba Amte amar rahe" (Baba Amte will be immortal), and Bharat jodo (unite India).
His wife, Sadhnatai, sons, Vikas, Prakash their spouses and grandchildren were present on the occasion.
Amte, who was suffering from blood cancer died on Saturday. He was 94.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh, Agriculture Minister Balasaheb Thorat and Dairy Development Minister Anees Ahmed besides a host of VVIPs were present on the occasion.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The finance department has written to the top brass of various departments, offices and administration to ensure strict compliance to the finance and treasury rules for maintaining fiscal discipline.
- In a letter to Puri king Gajapati Dibya Singha Deb, Union minister for petroleum and natural gas, Dharmendra Pradhan urged him to launch a mass fund collection drive to enable contribution by crores of devotees of Lord Jagannath for the development of the Jagannath Temple heritage corridor.
- Cryptocurrency is, however, not legally banned and the government is in the process of enacting a law on this matter.
- The PM asked the three services to rid themselves of legacy systems and practices that are no longer relevant.
- According to the police, some young men were dancing at the DJ night in a wedding ceremony, during which one of the accused pointed the pistol at the forehead of another youth.
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.