Centre calls off truce with ULFA
The decision comes in view of continued violence and extortion.india Updated: Sep 24, 2006 19:21 IST
The Centre on Sunday called off its truce with the ULFA in Assam even as the army prepared to resume operations against the outlawed group's strongholds in the state.
The decision to end the ceasefire - announced on August 13 and subsequently extended several times - was taken in view of continued violence and extortion by ULFA cadres, Union home ministry officials said.
The last extension of the truce ended on September 20 and the Centre had held off from resuming army operations against ULFA to give the group some more time to provide a written commitment about joining direct talks, they said.
However, the government's efforts to pursue the peace process will continue, the officials said.
Meanwhile, army officials said columns had been moved to launch operations against ULFA strongholds in Tinsukia and Jorhat in upper Assam and in Nagaon, Barpeta and Darrang in lower Assam.