Centre orders crackdown on ULFA
This follows a high-level meeting between Union Home Secy VK Duggal and Assam Govt after the recent blasts.india Updated: Nov 08, 2006 17:16 IST
In the aftermath of Sunday's twin blasts in Guwahati that killed 14 people, the Centre and the army have launched a large-scale crackdown in Assam against the ULFA that has been blamed for the attacks.
Following a high-level meeting chaired by Union Home Secretary VK Duggal in Guwahati on Tuesday, additional companies of Central paramilitary forces and the army have been rushed to the state for anti-insurgency operations.
The movement of nearly 10 companies of CRPF has started to trouble-torn areas of Assam, official sources said in New Delhi on Wednesday.
During Tuesday's meeting, officials reviewed intelligence reports that some jehadi groups had extended support to the banned ULFA in carrying out the bomb attacks. This information is being further checked, the sources said.
Duggal was informed by Central security agencies and some army formations that ULFA had used a brief ceasefire during August-September to re-group rather than prepare for a dialogue with the Centre, they said.
It was decided that since there was no seriousness on ULFA's part for holding talks to usher in peace in the region, it would be advisable for security forces to begin large-scale operations against the group's cadres.
Duggal, along with senior officials of the Centre and Assam, had reviewed the situation in the state after Sunday night's blasts in a busy commercial area.
The sources said all security agencies in Assam had been asked to share and coordinate intelligence inputs for operations against the ULFA.
First Published: Nov 08, 2006 17:16 IST