Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh accused of Rs 36,000-cr PDS scam
The Congress on Saturday launched a fresh attack on the BJP, demanding Chhattisgarh chief minister Raman Singh’s resignation for alleged involvement in a Rs 36,000-crore scam in a scheme for supplying rice through the public distribution system.
"We are exposing a Rs 36,000-crore scam in Chhattisgarh which belittles all the other BJP scams. We have found solid evidence like diaries, pen drives and other documents by four people in this Nagrik Apurti scam," senior Congress leader Ajay Maken told reporters in Delhi.
"The diaries reveal benefits for not only chief minister Raman Singh, but his wife, sister-in-law, his cook and others. The moot point is that if there are diaries with the chief minister, his wife and his sister-in-law's names present, then why is no action being taken against them?" he said.
Maken demanded an investigation monitored by the Supreme Court into the scam.
He further said those who are accused in the scam have been turned into witnesses and there are no names in the charge-sheet.
"The diaries accessed by the ACB reveal direct benefits to chief minister Raman Singh and his wife. The Anti-Corruption Branch’s head has admitted that he has his own limitations and he cannot take this investigation forward. Money was also sent to Delhi, Nagpur and Lucknow," he said.
He said, "Out of 113 pages recovered by the prime accused, only six pages have been put in this challan. We demand an immediate resignation by Chhattisgarh chief minister Raman Singh as he and his family are directly involved in the scam."
The BJP leaders in some states as well as the centre have been under constant attack from the opposition over alleged scams. While Maharashtra's women and child development minister Pankaja Munde has been accused of involvement in a Rs 206-crore Chikki scam, Rajasthan CM Vasundhara Raje and external affairs Union minister Sushma Swaraj have been cornered over their role in the Lalit Modi immigration issue.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Only around 25,000 spectators will be allowed to witness the parade as compared to the average of 1.15 lakh people every year.
- Republic Day 2021 Live Updates: The Republic Day Parade ceremony will commence with Prime Minister Narendra Modi visiting the National War Memorial.
- The Republic Day Parade ceremony will commence with Prime Minister Narendra Modi visiting the National War Memorial. He will lead the nation in paying tributes to the fallen heroes by laying a wreath.
- The claim, that the portrait was based on Bengali actor Prosenjit Chatterjee, popularly known as Bumba, who played Bose in a 2019 movie, Gumnaami gathered momentum.
- The latest incident took place at Naku La area, which is at a height of over 5,000 metres, on January 20, when Chinese soldiers attempted to intrude into the Indian territory.
- The state government, got adjournments from the high court in the last two hearings citing the pendency of the similar petitions before the Supreme Court.
- The list of Padma awards also comprised 10 Padma Bhushan and 102 Padma Shri recipients.