Coimbatore blasts - 5 more found guilty
A court in Coimbatore on Monday found five more accused in the 1998 serial bomb blast cases guilty of charges barring major charges of criminal conspiracy, murder and attempt to murder, taking the total number of those convicted to 158.
Judge K Uthirapathy of the Designated Sessions Court (Bomb Blast Cases) found the five guilty of charges other than criminal conspiracy, murder and attempt to murder.
The Judge while convicting 153 accused of various charges among the 220 core charges on August 1, had deferred the pronouncement of findings on the five accused for Monday.
Delivering the judgement, he said the charges, barring the major ones, against the five were proved.
Meanwhile, the bail petitions of 84 others against whom there were no major charges were under the process of court.
So far, a total of 69 accused, including founder of banned Al-Umma, S A Basha, had been found guilty of criminal conspiracy and murder and also promoting communal hatred while 89 others guilty of various lesser charges.
Abdul Nasser Madhani of Kerala-based PDP had been cleared of all the five charges and released on bail.
Of the total 168 arrested, one had turned approver while another died during the course of the trial. Seven persons had already been granted bail.
The series of explosion during the visit of BJP leader LK Advani on Feb 14, 1998, claimed 58 lives and left more than 200 injured besides causing a property loss worth Rs 14 crore.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Those entering India can be granted refugee status, but they will be deported if the government decides against it
- The 50-odd pages document, anchored by the national security adviser’s office, is now awaiting the approval from the Prime Minister’s office before it is released.
- Delhi, which gave shots to 1,679 people per million population in the second phase till Wednesday night, was in the second spot, while Odisha (1,283 doses per million) was third
- The scenes that caused offence have since been deleted, and the makers as well as the OTT company have apologised.
- The medical fitness team of the Army tested close to 615 women SSC officers entitled for permanent commission, following the apex court judgment, on five counts: psychiatry, height, appendage (bone structure), physical and eye and ear.
- The EOL report has calculated its overall scores on the basis of four parameters: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability and citizen perception.
- Bengaluru, India’s technology capital, is an economic powerhouse on account of the presence of some of the world’s largest corporations.
- K Surendran, the state BJP president who made the original announcement claimed he was quoted out of context.
- The biosphere reserve spread over an area of 5569 sq km contributes 38% of the total protected area network in Odisha. It is also one of the oldest tiger reserves in the country having the largest zone of Sal trees.
- For the first time, junior commissioned officers (JCOs) and jawans are taking part in the top conference, as reported by Hindustan Times on Wednesday.
- According to the IMD's forecast, Friday and Saturday may see higher daytime temperatures that could rise to 39 degrees Celsius.
- A police officer said that the complainant's status as witness in the case of alleged sexual exploitation against former minister Ramesh Jarkiholi is also unclear.