Comedy king Vadivelu rules
Did anyone expect a Tamil film with comedian Vadivelu as the hero to rock at the box office? No, but it is doing so.
Once again, Shankar has proved that he is the man with the Midas touch. Whether he is directing or producing, all his films turn out to be money-spinners.
The top five Tamil films are:
1. Imsai Arasan 23aam Pulikesi; Director: Simbu Devan - It is a laugh riot and audiences are rolling in their seats and aisles over the antics of comedy king Vadivelu.
2. Uyir; Director: Samy - When this film was first released, it was not a big draw but the unusual and controversial theme of a woman seducing her young brother-in-law has caught the fancy of Tamil viewers. Sangeeta as the sex-starved sister-in-law has put in a fiery performance.
3. Parijatham; Director: Bhagyaraj - With its fun-filled moments, the film is the surprise hit of 2006. It remains to be seen whether it will bring new offers for plump Saranya, who is actor Bhagyaraj's daughter.
4. Thalainagaram; Director: Suraj - This is another unexpected hit. The big question is - will director Sundar C. stop directing films and act more instead?
5. Thiruttu Payale; Director: Susi Ganesan - This is one of the biggest successes in Susi Ganesan's career. The film has just completed a 100-day run, which is a rarity these days.