DoT dumps new telecom policy
Department of Telecom has dropped the ill-fated draft of the proposed policy completely with no immediate plans to revive it.Updated: Jul 02, 2006 13:30 IST
Even as the existing National Telecom Policy of 1999 lays down the roadmap of a review in every five years, the Department of Telecom has dropped the ill-fated draft of the proposed policy completely with no immediate plans to revive it.
"There is no immediate plan for any new Telecom Policy, There is no urgent need of a new one and the existing policy could take care of emerging scenario," senior DoT officials said here. DoT had reached to the stage of drafting a new telecom policy and had even asked the stakeholders to give views.
DoT last year had initiated the move in line with the provisions of the New Telecom Policy 1999, which had sought to review the telecom policy every five years.
Even Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran soon after taking over the Ministry in 2004 had even expressed his intentions for a review of the existing policy.
"I would like to revamp the telecom policy so as to take the country's communication sector forward in a big way," he had said.
Till now, India has formulated two telecom policies at the natioanl level -- 1995 and 1999 with historic changes.
The draft had suggested some revolutionary ideas, which DoT in-priciple was opposed to while on some cases it had toes the department line.
Permitting number portability, implementing carrier access code (CAC), setting up of ombudsman, and unbundling of last-mile access for broadband services were some of the draft recommendations of the core committee of DoT on NTP.