Driver’s family had severed ties with him
The 21-year-old man accused of seven murders and robbery had cleared his class 12 examinations through correspondence from Lucknow and had secured admission in an animation course at South Extension in Delhi. But he soon dropped out after reportedly falling into bad company.
When Hindustan Times approached Verma’s family, his businessman father said, “We have severed all ties with him since the last two years due to his bad habits.”
“I can’t say more as his grandmother is currently unwell and we do not want her to know about it. Everyone in the family is upset with what has happened,” his father said, wishing to remain anonymous.
Some of Verma’s neighbours told HT that Rahul was a disciplined young man and greeted them by touching their feet during festivals.
“We can’t believe he committed seven murders single-handedly. Around 2-3 years back, he ran away from home after someone in his family slapped him for his bad habits of picking up fights, drinking and smoking. He came back after 4-5 months,” a neighbour said.
A nearby shopkeeper added, “He had taken money on loan from some people and hadn’t paid them. They kept coming to his house and this irritated his family.”
Another shopkeeper in the neighbourhood said Rahul’s grandfather was a police inspector and was very strict.
During police investigation, Rahul told the police that of the R2 lakh he stole from his employer’s house earlier, he paid his friend R1 and spent the rest on a mobile phone and lived a lavish life.
Superintendent of police (SP) Shiv Shanker Yadav said the entire incident could have been averted had the Goel family reported the theft to the police.
“Also, they did not verify Rahul’s background and hired him as their driver,” the SP said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.
- After an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.