Figo to extend contract with Inter
The Portuguese star will sign a one-year contract extension with Inter Milan that will keep him at the club until June 2008.india Updated: Jun 11, 2007 17:58 IST
Portuguese star Luis Figo has decided to stay with Inter Milan for another season, the Italian Serie A champions confirmed on Monday.
A statement on Inter's website said that the 34-year-old forward will soon sign a one-year contract extension that will keep him at the club until June 2008.
Inter said the former Portugal international, European Footballer of the Year in 2000 and World Footballer of the Year in 2001, will then take up a position at the club as their international relations manager.
Figo, who joined Inter in 2005 after five years in Spain with Real Madrid, was close to moving to Saudi club Al Ittihad during the January transfer window but the switch fell through.
Figo, who retired from international football after Portugal were beaten by France in the semi-finals of last year's World Cup in Germany, has scored eight goals in 92 matches for Inter.
First Published: Jun 11, 2007 17:39 IST