Four more Mumbai blast suspects confess
Another four of the 11/7 suspects have confessed to the Anti Terrorist Squad giving details on their involvement and specific roles in planning and executing the terror attack in which seven RDX-based bombs ripped through seven suburban trains at rush hour resulting in 192 deaths.
"The confessions", said ATS chief Joint Police Commissioner KP Raghuvanshi, "have been recorded by us in conformity with the provisions of the MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Prevention Act)".
The confessions of suspects Mohammed Majid (28), Mohammed Ali (37), Mohammed Sajid (28) and Naveed Khan (28), fill in some of the gaps that have remained since the police claimed the case to be 'cracked'.
Further, in the backdrop of seven of their co-accused, including the alleged Faisal Sheikh (31), having sought to recant their confessions before the ATS two weeks ago, these four fresh confessions would strengthen the ATS chargesheet that is expected to be submitted in over around 45 days.
A special court, meanwhile, transferred these four along with co-accused Abdul Wahid, to judicial custody from the ATS custody till November 9. Special public prosecutor Raja Thakre said ATS did not require their police custody any longer.
Special judge of the MCOCA court, Mrudula Bhatkar, also extended the police custody of another co-accused Asif Khan Bashir Khan alias Junaid (state president of the banned SIMI) to police custody November 1.
The four confessions, as recorded in the ATS remand application submitted to the court, discloses the magnitude of the role played by Junaid in planning and executing the Mumbai terror attack along with Faisal. In fact, the remand application calls him "head of the organized crime syndicate" that carried out the attack.
Faisal, along with other co-accused including Junaid, planned the 11/7 terror attack and detailed specific roles for each of them in course of several meetings that were held at the former’s residences at Bandra (terrace flat) and Mira Road between February to July this year.
In his confession, call-centre employee Naved said, according to Raghuvanshi, he knew Faisal alias Sameer since 2001 and attended meetings at Faisal’s residences.
"He transported the Pakistani 11/7 bombers in the Maruti car of Faisal from the places where they were accommodated to the residence of Mohammed Ali in Govandi, where the bombs were assembled in pressure cookers on July 8, 9 and 10. He also drove the said car loaded with bombs and Faisal and Sajid."
ATS has received the said car and cotton swabs on information provided by Naved. Kolkata's resident Majid revealed that he had helped bring to the city six Pakistani 'bombers' (who carried RDX) from a 24 Parganas, West Bengal.
Mohammed Ali revealed that he has undergone training at the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba camp in Pakistan that was controlled by the ISI. He also revealed that the bombs were assembled at his Govandi residence.
The ATS has recovered traces of black and white powder from his box-bed through swabs that have been sent for testing.
Junaid, along with the four others, has admitted to having attended the meetings at Faisal’s residence.
Sajid, a mobile repairer, revealed his active role in assembling the 11/7 bombs, along with the Pakistanis, extending his expertise in electric circuitry, in making the timer devices.
The ATS has recovered the remaining components and electric/electronic instruments used by Sajid to make the time devices.
Sajid Ansari and Wahid today told the Judge that police took their signatures on confessions, but did not allow them to read the statements.
On Wednesday, the court had directed Sajid to be examined by doctors in government-run JJ Hospital after his mother filed a complaint in the court alleging he had been tortured by ATS.
But the report of the doctors was not available on Thursday, so the court will take up this matter on October 30.