Govt admits to security lapse
The Sunday night attack was biggest since Naxal movement began in 1967.Updated: Nov 14, 2005 18:18 IST
The Centre on Monday admitted that there had been a security failure in Jehanabad district of Bihar where Maoists carried out a brazen attack and freed about 350 people from the local prison.
"The main reason (for the attack) was that most policemen were deployed for election duty. There were only 8 to 10 policemen at the prison," Minister of State for Home Affairs Sriprakash Jaiswal said.
The Sunday night onslaught began around 9 and lasted for well over three hours. It was the biggest Maoist attack since the Maoist movement began in 1967.
Jaiswal said the state government, now overseeing staggered assembly elections, had sought more paramilitary forces from New Delhi to tackle the situation.
"They have sought 20 more companies of paramilitary forces," the minister said, adding Home Minister Shivraj Patil had convened a high-level meeting to discuss the attack by the Communist Party of India-Maoist.
At least five people, including four policemen, were killed in the attack.
First Published: Nov 14, 2005 18:05 IST