Gulzar to film Tagore's works
Eminent poet and filmmaker Gulzar, who has earlier filmed Premchand's writings, is now busy filming Rabindranath Tagore's works and says this would attract more readers to the works of literary greats.
"I am trying to complete 15 hours of filming of Tagore's works. He is a great author and with him there is another advantage of poems that is very rare. The initiative would expose their different aspects to viewers and readers outside Bengal," Gulzar told IANS in an interview.
The writer was recently in the capital to launch his book Two Tales Of My Times. The book, published by Rupa & Co., has two stories - "New Delhi Times" and "Maachis" - both of which have already been made into feature films. So why a book now?
"You can't see a picture again and again. But one can revisit a book any time. And to prevent it from becoming a film album I have deliberately refrained from using pictures in the book. I want to keep its seriousness intact," he said.
Asked if Internet and cable television had affected the reading habits of youngsters, the author said: "Today there are a number of channels, Internet and what not. The youth can't be forcibly fed but there is readership.
"The medium of study has changed and we have to provide what youngsters want to read. That is why I had done 15 hours of filming of Munshi Premchand's two very famous works - Godan and Nirmala. It was aimed at attracting readers to their works, after they watch the film.
And where does he get unique metaphors for his poetry?
"Sensibility can't be bought from a medical store! With time one has to sharpen it on one's own," Gulzar quipped.
"I haven't sat down and coined the terms. People react differently to varied incidences; the way I write is exactly how I react to a particular situation.
"For instance, to describe a sunset if one borrows expressions from some books, it becomes clich? If you express it yourself genuinely without verifying it from somewhere else you will find it original," he explained.
Commenting on the commercialisation of lyrics in Bollywood songs, he said: "Well, if it is for a commercial medium it has to be commercial. However, one must write without making the songs' aesthetics cheap. And it depends on an individual ... after all, one person is different from another".
The poet is also writing lyrics for director Subhash Ghai's Main Yuvraj.
"There were two reasons for picking up the film - A.R. Rahman and Subhash Ghai. You can say I have to live up to their expectations."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.