Gurunath brought face-to-face with Vindoo during questioning
Mumbai police on Sunday 'confronted' CSK team owner Gurunath Meiyappan with actor Vindoo Dara Singh during questioning about T20 League spot-fixing and betting.
Police also collected Gurunath's voice sample for verification of telephonic conversations he had allegedly had with Vindoo, recorded by investigators.
"Gurunath and Vindoo were today (Sunday) made to sit face-to-face and questioned," a senior crime branch official said.
The confrontation was crucial for the investigation as Vindoo, soon after his arrest, had told the crime branch officials that he had placed bets on Meiyappan's behalf.
Vindoo was arrested on May 21 by the city crime branch, while Meiyappan, son-in-law of BCCI president N Srinivasan, was arrested late Friday night.
Vindoo, son of the late wrestler-actor Dara Singh, was allegedly in "frequent touch" with Meiyappan during the T20 League matches and has reportedly told crime branch sleuths that the CSK owner had lost Rs 1 crore through betting.
While seeking Gurunath's custody on Saturday, crime branch told the local court that he had placed huge bets on T20 League matches after fixing the game. "First, a particular match was fixed, then Gurunath used to place huge bets on those matches," police's remand application said.
The CSK 'Team Principal' shared inside information about the franchise team with the bookies to make money, crime branch told the court.
The remand application said that crime branch also intended to investigate Gurunath's relations with the controversial Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf, who was allegedly in touch with bookies.
Gurunath was on Saturday remanded in police custody till May 29.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Bharatiya Kisan Union leader Rakesh Singh Tikait warned that if needed, their tractors would reach the Parliament to press the government for the repeal of contentious farm laws.
- French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and finance minister Bruno Le Maire will be in Delhi next month while IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will be in France. At least 8 Rafale fighters will leave for India through mid-air refuelling by UAE between April 19 and April 23.
- The order also said that Kailashnathan will head an executive council set up for the purpose,
- Congress is like an ocean, Gandhi said in the national executive meeting of the IYC, and if anyone wants to return can be allowed to do so.
- The two-day trip to Dhaka will be Modi’s first foreign visit in 15 months
- Parties urge Speaker, Chairman to reduce sessions amid polls; both Houses to begin at 11 am from Tuesday
- Additional sessions judge Sandeep Yadav convicted 35-year-old Khan, also known as Junaid, Salim and Anna
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections