IIM directors' Delhi meeting cancelled
The move follows Centre's fresh notice asking B-schools to put admissions on hold till SC hearing on April 23.Updated: Apr 20, 2007, 11:32 IST
A meeting of the directors of all six Indian Institutes Management (IIMs) scheduled in New Delhi on Friday was called off after government sent a fresh communication to the B-schools to put on hold the admission process till Supreme Court hears the matter on April 23.
IIM sources said government in a fresh communication last night "reiterated" its stand that the IIMs should not go ahead with the admission process for the coming academic session till apex court hears the matter on Monday.
"So we have decided to cancel the meeting in the wake of the fresh communication," sources said.
In the communication, the government is understood to have told the IIMs not to issue admission letters till it hears from the HRD ministry.
The letter said the government was aware of the issue arising from the delay and was taking all necessary steps to facilitate the admission process, sources added.
Government sources had earlier said if the IIMs persisted with the idea of going ahead with admissions without the OBC quota, it would weaken the government's case before the apex court.