Kalyanji-Anandji inspired number wins
The three Indians in the Grammy nominees list - Anoushka Shankar, Asha Bhonsle and monk Ngawang Tashi Bapu - might not have brought the trophy home, but there is one Indian duo whose foot-tapping music has brought the Grammy for the group Black Eyed Peas. It's the famous Indian duo Kalyanji-Anandji.
Here is how: The group Black Eyed Peas has won the Grammy Best Rap Performance By a Duo or Group for their song Don't Phunk With My Heart from the album, Monkey Business.
The track puts together two compositions of Kalyanji-Anandji, sung by Asha Bhonsle - Yeh mera dil pyar ka diwana from the film Don and Ae naujawaan hai sab kuchh yahaan from the film Apradh!
Nothing illegal about this as the group has formally acquired the rights to create their track using the Kalyanji-Anandji compositions. For those who have not heard the catchy number, the track begins with opening musical bars of the Don chartbuster. The rest of the song follows the entire structure of the song from the film, Apradh.
And this is how the official credits on the Grammy Awards nominees list reads:
Don't Phunk With My Heart
William Adams, Printz Board, Stacy Ferguson & George Pajon, Jr., songwriters; (Kalyanji Anandji, Full Force & Indeewar, songwriters) (The Black Eyed Peas)
Track from: Monkey Business
The other Indians in the fray have not won any Grammy honours. Anoushka Shankar, Asha Bhonsle and the Buddhist monk Ngawang Tashi Bapu had been nominated.
Anoushka won the nomination for the second time. She was shortlisted for her album Rise in the Contemporary World Music category. Earlier, she had been nominated in the year 2003. Though she did not win the Grammy, her half-sister Norah Jones bagged 7 Grammys that year.
The evergreen singer Asha Bhonsle was also nominated a second time at the Grammys. She had been voted for her album with Kronos Quartet, You’ve Stolen My Heart: Songs From RD Burman’s Bollywood in the Best Contemporary World Music Album. Bhonsle had earlier been nominated for her album Legacy, along with Ustad Ali Akbar
Monk Ngawang Tashi Bapu had made it to the list of nominees Grammys with his album Tibetan Master Chants, in the Best Traditional World Music category.
Indians who have bagged the Grammy earlier:
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.
- The chargesheet was filed on Friday before a special NIA court against the accused persons-Bishnu Narzary, Nitul Daimary and Runiluish Daimary under several sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Indian Penal Code and Arms Act.
- Rai said that door-to-door collection of funds for the Ram Temple construction has also been stopped.
- The central government has also rushed high-level multi-disciplinary public health teams to Maharashtra and Punjab in view of the increase in the number of daily new Covid-19 cases being reported by these states.
- Nearly half or 366 out of 777 MPs are eligible for Covid-19 vaccines in the category of elderly people. 47% of MPs are above sixty years of age and meet the criteria for elderly people who can get vaccinated in the current phase.
- There are more than 3.2 million ex-servicemen (ESM) in the country, and many of them have been waiting to get vaccinated at service hospitals.