New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 18, 2019-Friday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Friday, Oct 18, 2019

Killer school buses

A 14-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl, both students, were crushed to death in the City on Thursday in two different mishaps.

india Updated: Oct 13, 2006 17:08 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent

One child crushed, another knocked to death
A 14-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl, both students, were crushed to death in the City on Thursday in two different mishaps.

Anmol Jaiswal was crushed to death under a bus of his own school near Bima Kunj on Kolar Road, and Seema was knocked to death by another school bus near Char Imli.

Both at Kolar Road and Char Imli, infuriated over the deaths, local residents came to the streets, demonstrated and stoned the buses.

The first mishap occurred outside the gate of Mansarovar School where Anmol, a resident of Sarvadharma Colony, was a Class IX student.  After school hours, Anmol was leaving on his bicycle when the school bus coming out crushed him at the turn outside the gate. His head came under the wheel and he died on the spot.

In the Char Imli accident, police said Seema, daughter of Ramesh Rajak, a resident of  Rishi Nagar, was riding her bicycle when the bus attached to Sheel Private School hit her. Seema died on the spot.

The drivers fled the spot immediately after the accidents. In Kolar Road, the accident occurred around 2.30 pm. Furious residents smashed the glasses of the bus and blockaded the road. Charging the school with negligence, as there was no guard at the school gate, the demonstrators demanded construction of a speed-breaker and immediate arrest of the driver.

At Char Imli residents smashed the windowpanes of the bus, removed the seats and burnt them on the road. Policemen arrived and dispersed the crowd, before they could set the bus afire.  However, the bus was turned turtle and damaged.  Police officials had tough time calming the tempers.

Demonstrators were demanding a compensation of Rs 2 lakh. Seema’s kin and relatives tried to stop the post-mortem at the hospital and demanded an interim relief for the family. After much persuasion they relented.

The police officials persuaded the Kolar residents to end the blockade but it took over two hours before traffic could be restored. 

Anmol’s father is a government employee, while Seema’s father is a launderer. Cases have been registered by the Kolar and Habibganj police.

First Published: Oct 13, 2006 17:08 IST

top news