Agreement to develop Chabahar port an important milestone: PM Modi in Iran
India and Iran signed 10 agreements on Monday, the second day of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to this Gulf nation, during delegation-level bilateral talks in Tehran.india Updated: May 23, 2016 14:37 IST
India and Iran signed 10 agreements on Monday, the second day of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to this Gulf nation, during delegation-level bilateral talks in Tehran.
“India and Iran shared interest in the growth and prosperity of each other and that it was a privilege for him to visit the Islamic republic,” Modi said in a joint media conference with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Tehran.
India-Iran joint statement: As it happened
1:45pm: Highlights of PM Narendra Modi’s statements
- Agreement to develop Chabahar port and related infra and availability of about 500 million USD from India for this, is an important milestone.
- We shared concerns over radicalism and terrorism in our regions, also agreed to consult closely on combating threats of terrorism.
- It will be a historic occasion. It’ll open new routes for India, Iran and Afghanistan to connect among themselves.
- We can never forget Iran was one of the nations to offer support following the earthquake in Gujarat.
- Similarly India is proud to have stood beside Iran during its difficult times.
- The clarity of President Rouhani’s vision have deeply impressed me.
- In our meeting today we focused on the full range of our bilateral agreements.
- The outcomes and agreements made today offer a new opportunity for our partnership.
- Agreements signed with Iran today open a new chapter in our strategic partnership.
1:35pm: Highlights of PM Narendra Modi’s statements
- Grateful for gracious hospitality given to me.
- On behalf of 1.25 billion Indians extend greeting to Iranian people.
- Visiting Iran is a great privilege
- India and Iran are not new friends our ‘dosti’ centuries old.
- As friends and neighbours we have shared interests in each others growth and prosperity
1:30pm: Highlights of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s statement
- We made a decision to bring relations between our academics, universities, technology & scientific parts closer to each other.
- Chabahar port can serve as a point of connectivity between different countries, specially India and Afghanistan, also east of Europe.
- Considering that both countries have an important port like Chabahar, we can have vast cooperation.
- Economic relationship between two countries can become much bigger compared to the past.
- PM Narendra Modi and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani deliver joint statement in Tehran
- Agreement on Chabahar port signed between India and Iran.
- Signing of agreements between India and Iran in Tehran.
Ahead of the talks, Modi and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani held a “restricted” meeting.
The prime minister, who arrived in Tehran on Sunday evening, was accorded a ceremonial welcome on Monday morning.
With inputs from Agencies