Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 19, 2018-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Missing Indian climber Paresh Nath’s body found on Everest

The body of Paresh Chandra Nath was discovered Friday near the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) summit of Everest.

india Updated: May 27, 2016 15:28 IST
Mount Everest,Missing Indian climber,Paresh Chandra Nath
A file photo of Paresh Nath who had gone missing during his ascent to Mt Everest.(HT file photo)

The body of an Indian climber was found on the upper slopes of Mount Everest, raising the death toll on the world’s tallest mountain since it was re-opened to expeditions this spring to four.

Sherpas searching for two Indian climbers missing since May 21 located the body of Paresh Nath, 58, above the South Col (7,900 metres), hiking officials said on Friday. Goutam Ghosh is still missing.

“They are bringing the body down while the search for another Indian climber is continuing,” said Wangchu Sherpa of the Trekking Team Nepal company that organised their expedition.

Nath was part of a four-member group that went missing on May 21. Sunita Hazra was located the next day but Subash Paul died while being rescued.

Read | Three deaths in three days: Everest challenge proves deadly for climbers

About 400 climbers have reached the top of Everest this month, the first time they were on the mountain after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake set off an avalanche that killed at least 18 people at Base Camp a year ago.

On Friday, a rescue helicopter brought the body of Australian climber Maria Strydom from Everest to the Nepali capital of Kathmandu. Strydom, 34, was nearing the 8,850-metre (29,035 foot) summit when she fell ill with altitude sickness and had to turn back. She died last Saturday.

“Her body has now been brought to Kathmandu from the mountain,” said Phu Tenzi Sherpa of the Seven Summit Treks that organised her expedition.

Read | Missing mountaineers: WB to send team to coordinate rescue operations

Strydom’s husband, Robert Gropel, who was in her team and also suffered altitude sickness, was airlifted to Kathmandu early this week.

Arnold Coster, who led the expedition, said Seven Summit Treks was as prepared as any. The Dutch mountaineer said he had personally selected climbers, and Strydom and Gropel had three experienced sherpas between them.

Gropel said the pair began their summit bid on Friday night in clear weather, departing from Camp 4, but at the South Summit at nearly 8,000 metres, Strydom slowed, stricken by altitude sickness.

Gropel also began to suffer from a lack of oxygen, hampering his thought processes.

“It took a while for me to register that I had medication, and so as soon as I realised I gave her a dexamethasone injection,” Gropel told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

With the medication and more oxygen brought up by sherpas, Strydom improved and was making her way down. She then collapsed suddenly and could not be revived.

Read | Indian Army team among more than 150 climbers on top of Everest

On Thursday, rescuers brought down the body of 36-year-old Dutchman Eric Ary Arnold, who died last Friday while on descent from the summit.

Everest has been climbed by over 7,300 people since 1953 when Sherpa Tenzing Norgay and New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary made their pioneering ascent. The deaths this month take the toll to at least 283.

First Published: May 27, 2016 15:04 IST