Molestation case: Identification parade of suspects soon
The accused, apprehended past midnight on Thursday night, are likely to be produced before a court by the police seeking their custody.Updated: Jan 04, 2008 18:36 IST
With the arrest of fourteen people, including one of whom surrendered, in the New Year day molestation case in Mumbai, the police are likely to carry out their identification parade soon.
The accused, apprehended past midnight on Thursday night, are likely to be produced before a court by the police seeking their custody.
With the arrest and their interrogation, the police are hopeful of tracing the main accused, a middle-aged man wearing a white shirt who is
prominently captured on the photograph clicked by two lensmen passing by the incident site.
In a late night briefing, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) KL Prasad said it has been verified that four of those arrested were actually involved in the molestation of the two NRI women outside a five-star hotel in suburban Juhu.
The police are also hoping to get cooperation from the victims to identify and nail the culprits. Prasad said a group of 13 people, residing in suburban Vile Parle, was rounded up on a specific tip off while the 14th one surrendered due to the repeated coverage of the news in the media.
He admitted it was due to the pictures clicked by the two photographers of Hindustan Times and the subsequent media coverage that the case had been "solved".
The women, hailing from Gujarat and currently settled in the US, were accompanied by two men when they were groped and molested outside the hotel at around 0145 hrs on Tuesday by a crowd of over 70 men. The incident had led to a public outcry.