Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 21, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

MP: Uneasy calm in Barwani, three arrested for rioting

Communal clashes broke out in Barwani town, prompting a heavy deployment of police after brief rioting left vehicles burnt and police officials injured. No casualties, however, were reported.

india Updated: Nov 05, 2014 15:03 IST
Animesh Jain
Animesh Jain
Hindustan Times

An uneasy calm prevailed in Barwani town on Tuesday even as police arrested three persons in connection with Monday night’s clashes between two communities that left nine persons including three police officials injured.

No untoward incident was reported on Tuesday, but the situation remained tense amid a large police presence, a senior police official said. All efforts have been made to ensure a peaceful passage of the Muharram processions in the town, said DIG Nimar range DK Arya.

Violence erupted in the town on Monday night after members of a community set off crackers after a ceremony at the Kalika Mata ki Mandir at Pala bazaar area.

Members of another community had assembled nearby for a Muharram procession, took exception after which a confrontation broke out that soon spiraled out of control.

Arya, who had rushed to Barwani on Monday night, said that three different cases under sections of rioting, attempt to murder and mischief by fire have been registered and some persons have been booked under preventive measures. Prohibitory orders imposed on Monday night will remain in force and additional police forces have been deployed as precautionary measures, he said.

Police have arrested Javed Khan, Afsar and Ibrahim on charges of rioting, said an official at the Kotwali police station.

The trio were produced before a court at Barwani, which sent them to judicial custody, he added.

Muharram processions were held under tight police security.

Violence staved off in Indore

Members of a Muharram procession briefly clashed with a heavy deployment of police near a temple where evening prayers were underway late on Tuesday, but the situation was soon brought under control.

Police officials said their men came under attack from stone-throwers protesters after a procession was halted to facilitate the evening aarti at Hanuman Mandir.

"We have controlled the situation but strict monitoring is being done," said additional superintendent of police (west) Devendra Patidar.

Members of the procession, when stopped, raised slogans and hurled stone chips lying nearby at the police in a pandemonium that lasted 15 minutes. Some 1,000 policemen, Rapid Action Force, fire brigades were deployed.

Members of Hindu Sangathan and performed the aarti under police protection, after which the Muharram procession was allowed to proceed.

Police sources said that installation of CCTVs had helped them identify the trouble mongers and action would be taken against them.

First Published: Nov 04, 2014 13:48 IST