Nepal Govt discloses whereabouts of 174 Maoists
Nepal's seven-party government revealed the whereabouts of 172 suspected Maoists missing after being arrested by security forces.Updated: Sep 22, 2006 16:54 IST
Meeting a key demand of rebels, Nepal's seven-party governmenton Fridayrevealed the whereabouts of 172 suspected Maoists missing after being arrested by security forces.
Home Minister Krishna Prasad Sitaula told the House of Representatives that out of 776 reported cases of disappearance, the government was able to confirm the status of only 174 people.
The report, prepared by a committee led by joint secretary of Home Ministry Baman Prasad Neupane last month, said out of the 174 disappeared people, 52 were killed.
One person was absconding, one still remains in jail while the rest have already been released, Situala told Parliament.
The issue was one of the main obstacles in the way of peace talks between the government and the Maoists.
The Home Minister informed that criminal cases had been filed against three persons in court, two of them were released on bail and one still remains in prison.
The families of the victims have been staging demonstrations and sit-in before the army headquarters for the past few weeks demanding to know their whereabouts.
The disclosure comes within days of the government announcing that it was ready for Summit Talks with Maoist leaders before the the festival of Vijaya Dashami.
The first such talks were held on June 16 during which the sides agreed to manage arms, form an interim government inclusive of Maoists and to hold constituent assembly elections.
The Maoists have not yet made public whereabouts of more than 150 people abducted by them on different occasions.
First Published: Sep 22, 2006 16:54 IST