Ruparel College: The school toppers' shrine
It is the school toppers' shrine, especially if you are into science worship. Known to produce toppers in competitive exams as well, Ruparel College is perhaps one of the very few colleges where student hang out not at the canteen, but at the library.
While Ruparel is known for its solidity in teaching traditional science subjects, it has applied to the Mumbai University for permission to teach microbiology as a graduation subject. But what quietly bustles beneath the image of sombre excellence is a culture of extracurricular activities.
The film club Chitravedh, which mainly screened Indian documentaries, has been revived by filmmaker Kiran Shantaram and is now beaming popular Hollywood films like Roman Holiday and Godfather.
The college had 67 participants in Model United Nations sessions last year. It bags most of the Mumbai University awards in Marathi theatre.
The English literature department has a group called Rupela and psychology students run Maanas. This year, the students have completed a rainwater harvesting project along with non-governmental organisation Member of Brotherhood since the college was prone to water scarcity. "If you are looking for all round personality development join our college," said Principal Pradip Kulkarni.
The college, which got the prestigious A-grade from the National Academic Accreditation Council, will soon have a new school building close to the old one. It boasts of a remarkably green and spacious campus, with the arts and science buildings separated by a garden.
"There is so much a student can do besides studying in this college. It makes the best come out in a student," said Shivangi Hoshing, a third year arts student. The college is also known for its guest lectures and career guidance offered by some very prominent names.
The college was established in 1952 and was managed by the Modern Education Society, Pune. Located on 40,217 square metre, it owes its excellence in education to Seth Gordhandas Jadavji Ruparel and his younger brother Seth Narayandas Jadavji Ruparel of Messrs Doongarsee Gagje and Sons, Mumbai.
It is a sister institution of Wadia College, which the Wadia brothers Cusrow and Ness helped the society to establish. The junior and degree courses started in 1975 and by 1980, various bi-focal vocational courses were introduced.
Best known for
Science stream. A combination of a top-notch faculty in the science stream with a bunch of very bright and hardworking students makes the college produce merit rankers in HSC every year.
Previous year's cut-off
Arts: 65% Commerce: 78% Science: 90%
Atomic Energy Commission Chairperson Anil Kakodkar, actors Urmila Matondkar, Amrita Rao and Antara Mali, politician Pramod Nawalkar.
Ruparel has the best campus, not only with respect to physical appearance, but also because of those running it. They ensure better education and a good curriculum. The extra-curricular achievements are good, especially with respect to Marathi theatre: Ashok Hande, producer and director of Marathi plays Chaurang and Marathi Bana.
It is well known as a science college and students consider it the best, which says it all for the institute. The additional facilities, especially the large playground, are essential for the overall development of the student: Snehlata Deshmukh, former vice-chancellor,
University of Mumbai.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All ten vaccination centres across the city sported colourful curtains and were decorated with flowers. Some centres at BYL Nair hospital and Covid-19 jumbo centre at Bandra Kurla Complex also placed selfie spots with ‘I got my Covid-19 vaccine’ message in the backdrop.
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.