Spl CBI court asks Talwars for list of 14 prosecution witnesses
A special CBI court on Friday asked dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar to submit by June 4 a list witnesses they wanted to examine in their defence in the Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case.india Updated: Jun 01, 2013 23:58 IST
A special CBI court on Friday asked dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar to submit by June 4 a list witnesses they wanted to examine in their defence in the Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case.
Special Judge S Lal, who completed recording the statements of the couple as accused in the case, fixed June 11 for commencing examination of defence witnesses. The court posed 805 and 809 questions to Rajesh and Nupur, respectively. Towards the end of recording of their statements as accused, Rajesh and Nupur forwarded written explanations to the court.
Their counsel requested the court to give them certain documents, including mobile call details and scientific test reports related to three previous suspects -- Raj Kumar, Krishna and Vijay Mandal.
“We want these documents on record. In our explanation to the court, we stated that prosecution’s allegations against the accused are false and both the accused be acquitted of all charges,” Tanvir Ahmed Mir, the counsel for the Talwars’, told reporters. Fourteen-year old Aarushi was killed at the Talwars’ Noida residence on the intervening night of May 15-16, 2008.
The body of their domestic help Hemraj was found on the terrace a day later.
The CBI had sought closure of the case but the trial court summoned the Talwar couple as accused for allegedly killing Aarushi and Hemraj.
Talwars had been insisting on summoning 14 “crucial” prosecution witnesses dropped by the CBI. The Supreme Court, on May 28, had however dismissed their plea.
The trial is at its fag end as the court has already recorded the statements of 39 prosecution witnesses and completed recording statements of the accused couple.
Now, after recording of defence evidence, the court would hear final arguments before reserving its judgment.
Investigating officer AGL Kaul, who was the last prosecution witness to record his testimony on April 24, had said the investigations revealed no evidence of any third person’s entry in the house.
(Correction: The headline previously read ‘Spl CBI court asks Talwars for list of 14 defence witnesses’. The 14 were “prosecution” witnesses dropped from the CBI list which the Talwars wanted to be examined. The error is regretted.)