Telengana issue splits TDP
Telangana is spelling trouble for political parties in Andhra Pradesh.
After the drubbing TRS received in the recent bypolls in Telangana, the main opposition party, TDP, seems to be heading for trouble over the granting of separate statehood to the region.
A dominant section within the TDP is now demanding that the party stop dragging its feet on the contentious issue and take a clear stand on the issue of separate statehood for this backward region. Leading the group is none other than T. Devender Goud, considered No. 2 in the TDP and a former home minister. He has asked the party leadership to come out with its stand before the Assembly elections, scheduled for early 2009.
Goud’s statement has come as a rude shock as TDP top bosses were in a back patting mood after the bypolls. Party leaders, including N. Chandrababu Naidu, were hoping that the defeat of TRS and the victory of TDP in Telangana would silence the proponents of separate state and the party may not have to take a call on Telangana.
Officially, the TDP stands for samayika or united Andhra Pradesh. But under pressure from party men in Telangana, it appointed a panel in April to look into the matter. It’s first meeting is slated for June 18.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.