Thirty detained as Egypt probes resort bombings
The bombings, which drew a barrage of international condemnation, had killed at least 18 people, including six foreigners.india Updated: Apr 26, 2006 19:27 IST
Thirty suspects were being questioned on Wednesday as Egypt pressed its investigation into deadly bombings in the Red Sea resort of Dahab, the third such attacks to have hit the Sinai in 18 months.
Security sources said the suspects had been rounded up since the explosions rocked the resort on Monday as it was packed with foreign tourists and Egyptians enjoying a traditional spring holiday.
Health and security officials said the Dahab bombings -- which drew a barrage of international condemnation -- had killed at least 18 people, including six foreigners, and wounded up to 80 people.
But medics were still in the process of identifying body parts and warned the figure could change.
The state-owned daily 'Al-Ahram' confirmed that the three attacks were perpetrated by suicide bombers, who concealed their explosives in leather bags.
The newspaper said investigators were running DNA tests to match body parts with identity papers bearing the name of Eid Atta Suleiman, a Bedouin from northern Sinai, which were found on the scene of one of the explosions.
Investigators also retrieved other body parts from the sea, which they believe may belong to the suicide bombers.
Security sources said the investigators believe that the Dahab bombings are connected to two previous waves of bombings along the Sinai coast.
First Published: Apr 26, 2006 19:27 IST