Bird flu-hit W Bengal lifts poultry ban

Updated on Feb 13, 2008 04:46 AM IST
Authorities in West Bengal largely lift a ban on the trade, transport and consumption of poultry, imposed a week ago.
HT Image
HT Image
Reuters | By, Kolkata

Authorities in West Bengal on Tuesday largely lifted a ban on the trade, transport and consumption of poultry, imposed a week ago as part of efforts to stamp out a bird flu outbreak.

Sales were first banned in the 13 of West Bengal's 19 districts where the H5N1 virus had been detected, but the restrictions were later extended to the whole state as officials tried to ensure there would be no further outbreaks.

Anisur Rahaman, the state's animal resources minister, told reporters that officials considered the outbreak which began last month was under control.

He said restrictions on poultry farming would continue in parts of Birbhum and Murshidabad districts, which first reported the outbreak.

The World Health Organisation had said the rapid spread of bird flu throughout much of densely populated West Bengal was the most serious outbreak yet in India, which has four times detected H5N1 but which has not reported any human infections.

Rahaman said 3.8 million birds have been culled in the state since the outbreak began.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A 32-year-old man was arrested for molesting a 17-year-old girl on Thane skywalk. (HT FILE PHOTO)

    32-year-old man arrested for molesting 17-year-old girl on Thane skywalk

    The love for colourful umbrellas cost dearly for a 32-year-old man who molested a 17-year-old college student on a skywalk on Ghodbunder Road in Thane. The man tried to hold the girl from behind on the morning of August 11, when the girl bit The accused, Dinesh Gaud. On August 11, a 17-year-old college student was walking on the deserted skywalk near R-Mall in Manpada, Thane at 6.15am. The accused, Dinesh Gaud, touched the girl inappropriately from behind.

  • The threat calls were made to a phone number of Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital that is run by the Reliance Foundation (Mint File Photo)

    Mumbai man who made 9 calls threatening Mukesh Ambani is a 56-yr-old jeweller

    A 56-year-old jeweller in north Mumbai was arrested on Monday on charges that56-year-old jeweler, Vishnu Vidhu Bhowmik, who has a jewelry shop in south Mumbaie made nine threat calls to the Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital in south Mumbai and threatened to harm Reliance Industries Limited chairman Mukesh Ambani and members of his family. The phone calls were made between 10:39am and 12.04pm on Monday. Police earlier said it appeared that the nine calls were made by the same person.

  • Anand Mohan (right).

    6 cops suspended for providing special treatment to ex-MP and convict Anand Mohan

    Six police personnel, including a sub-inspector (SI), were suspended for allegedly providing 'special treatment' to convicted gangster-turned-politician Anand Mohan Singh when he appeared at a Patna court on August 12. Saharsa superintendent of police Lipi Singh took the action on Monday, including four DAP jawans and an SAP driver, and ordered departmental proceedings against them. Anand Mohan was accused of inciting a mob to lynch the young Dalit IAS officer on December 5, 1994.

  • A Shivneri bus HT Archives

    Shivneri buses to Pune from Thane and Borivali to be replaced with low-cost Shivai

    Come October, commuters headed to Pune from Thane and Borivali will have a low-cost, yet comfortable transport facility. The Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation is planning to replace the iconic Shivneri buses on this route with electric Shivai buses. However, the Shivneri buses will continue to ply between Dadar and Pune. Currently, Shivneri buses charge ₹450 per passenger.

  • Students in the process of getting admission at Miranda House College in New Delhi. The admission process is on for the new academic session in Delhi University. (Photo by Sushil Kumar/Hindustan Times)

    Only 20% FYJC aspirants confirm admission in four days, deadline on Wednesday

    Mumbai: Blame it on the long weekend and travel plans or students refusing to alter their college preference, just 20% first-year junior college (FYJC) aspirants from the second merit list have confirmed admissions until Monday. College principals have attributed this low admission acceptance to students travelling during the long weekend. The second merit list was released by the office of the deputy director of education (DyDE) on August 12, where 69,691 students were allotted seats.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Monday, August 15, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now