Buddhadev meets Basu
Hours after Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee's meeting with veteran CPI(M) leader Jyoti Basu, West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadev Bhattacharjee met the Marxist patriarch on Sunday night at his Salt Lake residence.
CPI(M) sources said that Basu told the Chief Minister about what he had discussed with Chatterjee and also the meeting External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had with him earlier in the day.
Emerging from the brief meeting, the Chief Minister drove away without speaking to waiting mediamen.
Chatterjee had airdashed here this morning to meet Basu. During the discussion they had, the issue of his quitting the Speaker's office had figured, a party insider said.
According to him, Basu advised Chatterjee to follow the party line.
The External Affairs Minister, during his 50-minute meeting, explained to Basu the circumstances that led to the collapse of the UPA-Left coalition.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As many as 14 out of 15,707 vaccine recipients developed adverse effects after immunisation while health of a nurse turned serious after taking the jab.
- The TMC leadership downplayed the incident calling it an error that was being blown out of proportion.
- The app was not opening. We had to log in and log out several times. It was also too slow, said an official.
- For the Matua community, permanent citizenship is a longstanding demand.
- Sisir Adhikari has been removed from the post of chairman of Digha Shankharpur Development Authority (DSDA) in East Midnapore district.
- Attacking the BJP over the three contentious farm bills, Banerjee alleged that BJP leaders have staged lunch with farmer’s family in rural Bengal after arriving in chartered flights.
- This comes a day after the TMC supporters allegedly ransacked Suvendu Adhikari’s office in Nandigram in the same district.