Rina Dhaka: Need to bring khadi into mainstream
Ace fashion designer Rina Dhaka feels khadi has a lot of fashion potential and a lot can be done with the traditional fabric. “We need to bring khadi to mainstream in our daily life and not limit it just for special days,” said the designer. She was in Lucknow for presenting her collection during the ongoing UP Khadi Mahotsav.
“Goal of fashion is to create aspiration. When ace-models wear them on a ramp, it has a trickle-down effect on khadi. Younger generation does not have an emotional connect with the fabric like we have. The idea is to make it younger and ensure that it looks appealing to the youths and to the fashion conscious. Masses follow the classes and that’s how the idea germinates,” she said.
“I am using lot of khadi and silk in my designer dresses which I have largely procured from the khadi board. I restyled and colour blocked it to give it a designer feel. Not just wedding garments, from a t-shirt to pajamas, bomber or trainers … the possibilities are endless in khadi. Eco-fashion may have reservations, but poly-khadi is also a reality and is easy to wear. All people want is a fabulous product at a great price,” she said.
She agreed that pandemic has changed a lot of things. “The masses have realised that they can do many things with their old clothes with re-cycling, up-cycling and re-fashioning. For designers it’s a challenge to try to recapture the interest of the customers, give them right value-oriented products and use opportunities like this given by government to showcase khadi fabrics to masses,” she said.
The designer said she was amazed at the changes that had been happening in Lucknow. “There is so much infra growth! College-goers and youths are driving the fashion scenario. I see officer goers, bureaucrats, dress up so nicely. Chikankari has been a feather in the crown but there is so much more that must be pushed,” she added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.
- Shilpa Shetty is currently holidaying in the Maldives and giving us sartorial goals. The fashionista recently wore a gorgeous pink and yellow pleated saree dress worth ₹25k and looked absolutely fantastic.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, who are expecting their second child together, made a surprise appearance at a recent virtual event. It was her gorgeous citrus print summer dress that stole the show.
- Bipasha Basu floods the Internet with sultry pictures straight from the Maldives beach in a black bikini layered with a barely buttoned-down cinnamon blue and ivory striped silk shirt dress which is a closet must-have for a summer or fall day | Check pictures and fashion cues inside
- Hello sunshine: Gauahar Khan adds all the missing beauty to our day with her ravishing pictures in a mesmerising mustard lehenga set with gota korpatti embroidery and we guess we have already found our fashion hero to take style cues from, for the next ethnic event this Spring