Eid-ul-Fitr 2021 moon sighting highlights: Crescent not sighted in Saudi Arabia
- Eid-ul-Fitr 2021 moon sighting highlights: The crescent moon for the month of Shawwal 1442 was not sighted on Tuesday evening. Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Thursday, May 13 2021 which will mark the end of Ramadan 2021
Muslims across the world are gearing up to sight the crescent moon to welcome the month of Shawwal with Eid-ul-Fitr or Eid-al-Fitr. The ninth month in the Islamic Lunar Calendar is Ramadan and the tenth is Shawwal whose first day is marked as Eid-ul-Fitr across the world.
While the West culturally follows the Gregorian calendar, the Islamic calendar is lunar which means it is based on the sighting of the crescent moon. Every year, Eid-ul-Fitr occurs approximately 10-11 days earlier depending on when the crescent moon is sighted since lunar months are shorter than solar months and so it varies from country to country by about a day.
Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court calls Muslims in UAE, Qatar and other Arab states to sight the crescent moon for the month of Shawwal on Tuesday evening, that is May 11, 2021, which will mark Eid-ul-Fitr and the end of Ramadan 2021.
Follow all the updates here:
MAY 11, 2021 09:00 PM IST
Shawwal Crescent search results expected shortly
While there are no reports of crescent moon sightings at Tumair observatory, search continues at other observatories in Saudi Arabia and results of today’s Shawwal Crescent search are expected shortly.
MAY 11, 2021 08:57 PM IST
Attempt to search for the Shawwal crescent has officially begun
Attempt to search for the Shawwal crescent has officially begun at different observatories in Saudi Arabia but according to Chief Astronomer Abdullah Al Khudairi, there is "Little to no possibility to seeing the crescent today."
MAY 11, 2021 08:55 PM IST
Astronomers take their places at Sumair and Tumair observatories
Astronomers take their places at Sumair and Tumair observatories to search for the crescent moon that will mark the onset of the month of Shawwal
MAY 11, 2021 08:04 PM IST
North America expects Eid-ul-Fitr on May 13
According to the Fiqh Council of North America, the Astronomical New Moon is on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 19:02 Universal Time. On this day, there is no place on Earth reportedly where at sunset the elongation is 8 degrees and moon is 5 degrees above the sun. Hence, Shawwal 1442 cannot start the next day which means that the first day of Shawwal or Eid-ul-Fitr 2021 is on Thursday, May 13, 2021.
MAY 11, 2021 07:55 PM IST
UAE to hold socially-distant prayers on Eid-ul-Fitr
Dubai's Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department (IACAD) announced that Eid prayers will be held at 5:52am while mosques and musallas across the emirate will open 15 minutes before and then close immediately after the namaz. Precautionary measures like keeping a safe distance from others, not crowding around the musallas’ entrances and exits, wearing face masks and carrying individual prayer mats to be followed. On the other hand, women’s prayer halls will remain closed until further notice.
MAY 11, 2021 07:47 PM IST
Jeddah Astronomical Association predicts Eid-ul-Fitr on May 13
Jeddah Astronomical Association has said that the most likely sighting date for the Shawwal moon will be on Wednesday 12 May. As per a top official, a new moon is likely to be sighted in Saudi Arabia on Wednesday which is May 12. If this is the case, Eid-ul-Fitr will follow on Thursday i.e. May 13 but a final announcement from the Supreme Court of Saudi Arabia is awaited.
MAY 11, 2021 07:41 PM IST
Eid in UK amid Covid-19
Even though the travel curbs have been eased in most parts of Britain, the communal aspect of Eid will be hampered this year as with there will be no large-scale events, food festivals, mass prayers or stalls due to the Covid-19 restrictions still in place in the UK and other countries.
MAY 11, 2021 07:38 PM IST
Eid break for kids in Dubai
Dubai gears up to offer kids a much-need treat with recreational activities in the Eid week and the long weekend as it hosts woodwork, theatre and a Disney fountain show in the city.
MAY 11, 2021 05:39 PM IST
Final announcement expected at 7:15pm
The final announcement, about whether the crescent has been sighted or not in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is expected around 7:15pm as per KSA's time zone on Tuesday.
MAY 11, 2021 05:34 PM IST
Eid on Wednesday if crescent moon is sighted on Ramadan 29, 1442 H
As per the Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court, if the moon is sighted with the naked eye on Ramadan 29, 1442 H which is Tuesday May 11, the committee will announce the end of the fasting month and Eid ul Fitr for the next day i.e. Wednesday.
MAY 11, 2021 05:23 PM IST
Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court calls Muslims to sight the crescent moon
Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court has asked Muslims to report to the authorities in their area if they sight the crescent moon for the month of Shawaal by naked eyes or through binoculars. It also called the people of the Kingdom to register their testimony after reporting to the nearest court about the moon sighting.
Get our daily newsletter
- Ganga Dussehra 2021: According to Hindu mythology, Goddess Ganga descended to the Earth on Dashami in the month of Jyeshtha to free the souls of Bhagiratha's ancestors from a curse.
- Happy Parents Day 2021: Here’s all you need to know about the date when Parents Day is celebrated globally, importance or significance of why it is observed, its theme amid Covid-19 and a collection of best SMS, WhatsApp messages, GIFs, quotes, Facebook status to wish the nurturers
- World No Tobacco Day 2021: Here’s all you need to know about when is World No Tobacco Day, its history, theme this year and its significance amid Covid-19
- Buddha Jayanti: Here are some of Gautam Buddha’s teachings that you can use in your daily life.
- Buddha Jayanti 2021: Lord Buddha was born as Prince Siddhartha Gautama on the Purnima Tithi (full moon day) in 563 BC in Lumbini (modern day Nepal). In Hinduism, Buddha is considered as the ninth avatar of Lord Vishnu.
- Eid-ul-Fitr, across the globe, is about spending time with family and friends. This festival, however, is celebrated in different ways in various parts of the world. Read on to find out the specific traditions that are followed in different regions.
- Akshaya Tritiya 2021: Also called as Akha Teej, Parasurama Jayanti or Akti, here's all you need to know about the date, history, puja timings and celebrations of the 'third day of unending prosperity' in India and Nepal