Raksha Bandhan 2022: Dos and don'ts, important rituals; all you want to know
Raksha Bandhan 2022: Raksha Bandhan is being celebrated on August 11 and August 12 this year. All you want to know about the important rituals, dos and don'ts of the festival.
Raksha Bandhan 2022: Raksha Bandhan, the day that celebrates the beautiful bond between a brother and a sister, is observed every year on the last day of the month of Shravana or the full moon day of the month. This year, the festival will be celebrated on two days August 11 and August 12. The best time to tie Rakhi around your brother's wrist as per drikpanchang would be 08:51 pm to 09:13 pm on August 11 during Pradosh time or 05:17 pm to 06:18 pm during Bhadra Punchha. On August 12, the rituals can be performed till 07:16 in the morning. (Also read: Raksha Bandhan 2022: Puja timings, shubh muhurat, auspicious time to tie rakhi)
Raksha Bandhan is much-awaited by brothers and sisters across the country. To celebrate the day, sisters tie rakhi on their brother's wrist and pray for his long life while the latter promise to protect them for life. A special Raksha Bandhan thaali is prepared by the sister with akshat (raw rice), roli, chandan, sweets, nariyal (coconut), beautiful rakhis, diya and kalash. A day before Raksha Bandhan, many girls also adorn their hands with beautiful mehndi designs to go with their ethnic clothes. Here are other rituals, dos and don'ts to celebrate Raksha Bandhan:
1. On this day sisters wake up early in the morning and after cleaning the house begin to make preparations for the festival. A puja thali is prepared with all the required samagri and a diya is lit. Married sisters usually visit their brother's house to do the Raksha Bandhan rituals.
2. To begin the rituals, make your brother sit on a wooden chowki facing east direction. After applying tilak on your brother's forehead, tie rakhi on his right wrist while wishing for his long life.
3. An aarti is performed after tying the rakhi post which the elder sister should bless their younger brothers while younger ones may seek blessing of their elder brothers. They can also feed each other a piece of sweet or mithai from the thali.
4. After this, it is time for brothers to pamper their sisters with gifts.
5. Raksha Bandhan rituals should not be performed during Bhadra. Bhadra is a malicious time which should be avoided for all auspicious work as per drikpanchang.
6. Raksha Bandhan rituals shouldn't be done sitting on a sofa or chair and the brother must be seated on a wooden chowki as per the tradition.
7. The best time to tie Rakhi on Raksha Bandhan is during Aparahna which is late afternoon.