Pongal 2021: Here's how you can make the delicious Sakkarai Pongal, easy recipe
- Try this extremely simple recipe of Sakkarai Pongal on this auspicious day and take your taste buds on a ride. You will love it.
The entire country is celebrating Pongal today and no celebrations are complete without sweets. The word Pongal also means 'to boil over or overflow,' and it is in reference to the famous dish that is made on this auspicious day. That is not all, it is also known by the same name. The dish Pongal or Sakkarai Pongal, originally consisted of a fresh harvest of rice, milk and jaggery, however, over time, it has been tweaked a bit and more flavours have been added to keep the delicious dessert at par with the modern world.
The dish Sakkarai Pongal is also used as an offering to the Gods and Goddesses. It is even served to the cows and finally, after that, the family members eat this extremely simple yet delicious dish. So today, on the auspicious day of Pongal we will be sharing with you the simple recipe of the famous dish so that you can prepare it at home and enjoy.
Here's how you can make Sakkarai Pongal:
3/4 cup raw rice
1/4 cup moong dal
1 cup jaggery
1/4 teaspoon cardamom or according to your taste
2 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons cashew nuts
2 tablespoons golden raisins/kismis
Put the rice and dal in a pressure cooker along with the 3 cups of water and give 3-4 whistles making sure that they are properly cooked.
Once that is done, add the jaggery to the pan and mix nicely. To add a little more taste to the Pongal, add cardamom powder to it.
In another pan, take two tablespoons of ghee and roast the cashews and raisins until they become a little puffed. Once you reach that stage, garnish the dish with the cashews and serve hot.
(Recipe courtesy: Instagram/sharmilacooksforkids)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Taapsee Pannu has been training really hard for her film Rashmi Rocket and on the night before the last day of shoot, the actor celebrated her journey with delicious aate ka halwa. Here's how you can also make it.
- A bowl of cauliflower-based alfredo with macaroni and cheese or caulifredo mac n’ cheese makes the best couch companion and you’ll agree too once you try this velvety, mouthwatering recipe to make the ‘weak’days ahead, easy
- Lisa Haydon recently baked a rainbow cake at home and shared snippets with her followers. The clips made us crave for a cake and we are sure that after looking at these videos, you will want to gorge on one too.
- Are you a vegan who is craving some naan? Try these crispy, flaky and aromatic scallion pancakes instead. Recipe inside
- Keep your regular onion or paneer pakoda for monsoons and try this appetizing Maggi pakode recipe to treat your taste buds and warm your soul during winter evening tea-time with fam
- If you are looking to tame those sugar cravings with a healthy snack between meals that aides in weight loss, check out this recipe of peanut butter and chocolate fix shake that makes for a perfect dose of self care to fuel your tired muscles after workout
- Date amid lockdown? Why not! Except, it’s sweeter, healthier, doesn't give you anxiety and one that even your parents will not refuse. Don’t believe us? Check out this winter special recipe of coconut date balls that only require four ingredients and thank us later
- In a recent Instagram story, Deepika Padukone shared that she is more fond of baking than cooking and she loves to bake cookies the most. So today, we are going to share with you a simple recipe of chocolate chip cookies that will melt in your mouth.
- Have absolutely nothing planned to cook? Don’t concede defeat nor reach for a bowl of some cereal and milk or takeaway. Instead, let this simple and easy citrus shrimp salad recipe speak to you which is packed with health benefits
- Chocolates with strawberries make us go weak in the knees every single time and you’d be lying if you don’t agree. How about binging on them without guilt while adding some health benefits? Check out this nutritious breakfast recipe of chocolate covered strawberry baked oatmeal and thank us later
- Want to know a quick and easy way to bring a smile to the breakfast table or evening coffee break this winter? Prep up some warm Nutella fingers with the help of this 3 ingredient recipe which promises a chocolate taste in every bite and that is all we need to brush aside Monday blues
- Move over the regular chilli chicken or chilli paneer and check out this recipe of chilli roasted chickpeas that serve as a perfect snack, along with a meal or a topping for a soup or salad and will surely boost your Monday energy the right kick
- Looking to give gluten the hook? Check out this delicious vegan recipe that preps up super fluffy and light banana pancakes which are golden and crisp on the outside and will make you forget you ever missed gluten
- Have a sweet tooth and easily give in to desserts while craving for some more? Check out this Lotus Biscoff mousse recipe to make the easiest dessert with just two ingredients