New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 30, 2020-Friday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / Lok Sabha Elections / Pragya Singh Thakur denies violating campaign ban

Pragya Singh Thakur denies violating campaign ban

Pragya Singh Thakur who was slapped with a 72-hour campaign ban by the Election Commission said she was a sanyasi and her life revolved around temples, cows and public welfare among other things.

lok-sabha-elections Updated: May 05, 2019, 15:15 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Bhopal
Malegaon blast case accused Pragya Singh Thakur who is the BJP’s candidate for the Bhopal Lok Sabha seat has been served three notices by the Election Commission for violating the poll code.
Malegaon blast case accused Pragya Singh Thakur who is the BJP’s candidate for the Bhopal Lok Sabha seat has been served three notices by the Election Commission for violating the poll code.(PTI)

BJP candidate for Bhopal Lok Sabha seat, Pragya Singh Thakur on Sunday remained defiant as she denied campaigning during the 72-hour ban that the Election Commission had slapped on her on May 2 .

The Congress had complained to the district returning officer, Sudam Khade on Friday that despite ban Pragya Thakur continued to campaign for herself through singing of bhajan, keertan in temples and serving cows etc. Following the complaint, Khade issued her a notice.

“Whatever notice I have got for visiting temples (I want to say) I am a sanyasi. The base of my life is temple, pooja, public welfare, nation welfare, mother cow, mother Geeta and mother Ganges. If anyone wants to stop me from doing all this he should think of his life, ” Thakur said but did not elaborate.

BJP Media coordinator for Bhopal parliamentary constituency Dr Hitesh Bajpai acknowledged getting the notice and said, “We have submitted a reply to the district returning officer in which we have underlined the fact that there was no election campaign during the period.”

It was the third notice the EC sent her so far since the BJP announced her nomination for the Bhopal Lok Sabha seat.

Two notices were sent last month to Thakur who is an accused in the Malegaon blasts for her comments on slain Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare and boasting about her role in the demolition of the disputed Babri mosque.

On May 1, the Election Commission had barred her from campaigning for 72 hours starting 6 am on May 2 for her remarks against s and for expressing pride about her role in the demolition of the Babri masjid in Ayodhya.

In her reply to the EC, she had denied all the charges for her reported remarks on Karkare. But the EC was not satisfied with her replies on Karkare and the mosque demolition

An FIR was registered against for her alleged statement on the demolition boast last month.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading