CBI submits charge sheet against Ahmed
The Central Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday filed in the CBI court in Lucknow a charge sheet against Atiq Ahmed, a member of parliament, officials said on Thursday.
Expelled from the Samajwadi Party earlier this year, Ahmed, who represents the Phoolpur constituency of Allahabad, has over 150 criminal cases lodged against him. He was on the run since the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) came to power in Uttar Pradesh. He was arrested by Delhi Police in February.
Besides Atiq Ahmed, the CBI also submitted a charge sheet against Rakesh Sachan, a former legislator of the Samajwadi Party.
"The charge sheet was submitted in connection with a case lodged in 2005, probed by the CBI on the directions of the Allahabad High Court," an official said.
"The Debt Recovery Tribunal ordered the auction of M/s Rajendra Steel having units in Kanpur and Raipur. The auction was to be held in Allahabad and both Ahmed and Sachan are accused of threatening and planning the abduction of bidders," the official said.
Besides the charge sheet, the CBI also submitted its progress report on the probes conducted by it in other cases.
The CBI has also lodged three cases against Atiq Ahmed in Allahabad, first in 2002 under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Gangster Act and two other cases in 2003 under the Arms Act.
According to official records, Ahmed was facing trial in 35 criminal cases in different courts at the time of his arrest.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All joined at a membership event held in the presence of SP chief Akhilesh Yadav at the party headquarters.
- The 41-year-old doctor expressed complete faith in Covishield vaccine and said that all results have shown it to be an effective protection against the coronavirus and safe.
- All 15 police personnel were suspended for remaining absent from their duty points.
- A senior BJP leader said the party has some big plans for AK Sharma.
- After the legislative council election, the UP Cabinet is likely to be expanded before the crucial 2022 Assembly election, said a BJP leader.
- The girl came to Lucknow from Nepal in search of a job two years ago before she was misled and trapped by the main accused who worked as a security guard.
- The quick acceptance of his application for voluntary retirement has started a buzz in the BJP circles that Sharma may be sent to the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.
- While currently nine domestic flights operate from Gorakhpur to all major cities of the country, an international flight from the newly-constructed Kushinagar airport will also commence soon, said the CM
- The first batch of the Covid-19 vaccines arrived by a special plane at Chakeri airport in Kanpur on Wednesday. Vaccines in stored in Varanasi are to be used in the divisions of Varanasi, Azamgarh, Prayagraj and Mirzapur.