No records to beef up illegal animal slaughter data in UP
The state of Uttar Pradesh – where the issue of illegal slaughterhouses has suddenly come into focus – is a market leader in the production and export of meat in the country.
No wonder then that nearly 1.10 crore animals are “legally” butchered in the country every year.
There is no record of illegal animal slaughter (said to be rampant) and the quantity of meat produced from animals butchered illegally. Also, since cow slaughter is banned in the state, beef production is not accounted for in official records.
Basic Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Statistics, 2014, a report prepared by the union ministry of agriculture every year, shows UP as the largest producer of meat in the country contributing more than 19% to India’s total meat production followed by Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal.
Significantly, from 2008-09 to 2013-14, UP has consistently topped in the production of meat and was among nine states that achieved 100% meat production target set by the state/central government.
The category-wise analysis of meat production shows that average production from buffalo is the highest in UP with 0.516 million tonnes per year. Meat produced from pig is also highest in the state with 0.172 million tonnes per year.
In production of goat meat, UP is next only to West Bengal while it comes on sixth and seventh positions in meat production from poultry and sheep, respectively.
During 2012-2013, Delhi showed the highest annual growth rate of meat production at 79.8% followed by Uttarakhand where it was 34.8%. Uttar Pradesh stood on seventh spot registering a growth of 19.0% during the same period.
Beef contributes the least to the country’s total meat production. In the country, nearly 45% meat is contributed by poultry alone. Other contributors include buffalo (19%), goat (16%), pig (7%), sheep (5%) and cattle (5%).
Over a dozen states, including UP, where cow slaughter is banned, do not give figures of the cattle slaughtered and meat produced from them. This is said to be the reason for the lowest share of cattle meat (beef). “We do not have and we cannot have any official data on the production of cattle meat in the state since cow slaughter in prohibited here,” said a senior officer in the state animal husbandry department.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath has asked for the completion of healthcare workers’ vaccination on schedule.
- In two previous culling operation this year in Uttar Pradesh, some poultry birds were killed in Sherpur area in Pilibhit district and wild birds were culled in Kanpur zoo earlier this month.
- Priyanka said the Congress party’s first priority was to rebuild and strengthen the party organization in the constituency.
- A senior farmer leader of the group, Chaudhary Diwakar Singh said he was shocked by the decision to suspend the movement taken by the group’s chief and has therefore convened an emergency meeting of the organization's office bearers in the area on Thursday.
- I had to learn about Covid-19 and ways to protect people from it so that I could guide women and kids in my area, says Devi, an anganwadi worker.
- The function in question was held to mark the UP foundation day and was attended by state minister for technology, other public representatives and the district administration.