A sisterhood of frolicsome felons: Ocean’s 8 review by Rashid Irani
Eleven years after Danny Ocean (George Clooney) and his criminal cronies called it a day, Sandra Bullock and a band of glamorous grifters enter the fray to pull off a near-impossible jewellery heist.
This is meant to be a kind of turning-point film. It isn’t. It offers nothing new, other than the gender of the ensemble star cast.
Almost immediately after she’s released from prison on parole, Debbie (Bullock), the sister of the now-deceased Danny, enlists an octet of gal pals to swipe a priceless Cartier necklace at a swanky soiree at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Among the felons is a computer hacker (Rihanna), a fashion maven (Helena Bonham Carter), a multi-tasking fence (Sarah Paulson) and the mastermind’s former partner-in-crime, Lou (Cate Blanchett).
At one point, Debbie responds to a request to recruit a man into their group by saying: “A him gets noticed, a her gets ignored”.
That’s clearly changing in La-La Land. Hollywood honchos are more willing to bankroll projects with women in the leads; women are slaying it as superheroes and in all-female ensemble. More power to them all.
Ocean’s 8, however, is a retread of familiar caper elements, without the wit and exhilaration of the original Ocean’s 11 from 1960, which starred Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr, Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford.
There are narrative twists aplenty this time around, particularly involving a deceptively ditzy actress (Anne Hathaway, in scene-stealing form). Several A-list celebrities including Anna Wintour, Serena Williams and Heidi Klum are glimpsed at the Met event.
Sandra Bullock and her sisterhood appear to be having the time of their lives. I’m not so sure we can say the same for the audience.
Perhaps it’ll help to have a woman helm the inevitable follow-up. It couldn’t hurt.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Pavitra Punia had a quick response for the paparazzi, when they asked her why she wasn't accompanied by boyfriend Eijaz Khan at the airport.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.