Cast: Adhvik Mahajan, Zakir Hussain, Sakshi Gulati
Direction: Ram Gopal Varma
Two – okay make it three paragraphs – should be more than sufficient space for Ram Gopal Varma’s Contract. Because it sends you out of the auditorium in a state of thorough depression, head throbbing, eyes bobbing. Stop, in the name of God, Mr Varma, Enough is enough. Those Unsteadycam, Handycam, Feetcam, Whatevercam shots wouldn’t even impress an FTII student any more. Neither the spilling of guts, entrails and gore.
To call Contract a spin-off from The Departed would be a gross insult to Martin Scorsese. Here a commando, who has quit the services to watch MTV, is sent undercover to infiltrate into the lair of Sultan the Terrorist. No prizes for guessing if the mission clicks..but in the bargain, you are subjected to sights like an encounter cop running naked on the streets (in pixillated shots, phew). Plus, there’s much blather about politicians organising riots before elections..you get the drift. Besides one straight cop, everyone on this planet is BAD, BAD, BAD. How sad is that?
There’s no glimmer of hope at all. Women scream, one is beaten up black-blue-and-purple (off screen, thanks). And there’s a rotund female police commissioner who encourages yet another encounter. Of the cast, only Sumeet Nijhawan as R D the don is worth a mention. The finale of this brain-basher suggests that there could be a sequel. Scary. Now, don’t even dream of signing this Contract. At most, recommend it to someone who merits punishment.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.