10 things we know about Indrani Mukerjea
Mumbai city news: Indrani had moved a special CBI court in January, seeking permission to divorce her husband and co-accused in the Sheena murder, Peter MukerjeaUpdated: Jul 18, 2017 09:54 IST
Former media bigwig Indrani Mukerjea, accused of murdering her daughter Sheena Bora, is once again in the news. This time she and some 200 other prisoners in Mumbai’s Byculla jail have been booked for rioting after a murder convict died allegedly after prison staff assaulted her. Here are ten things we know about Indrani:
1. On April 24, 2012, former INX Media CEO Indrani Mukerjea, her ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, and driver Shyamwar Rai allegedly murdered her daughter, Sheena Bora. They burnt and dumped the corpse in Raigad. The murder came to light after Rai confessed three years later, in August 2015, when he was arrested in connection with an Arms Act case. Indrani and Khanna were subsequently arrested. All three are in judicial custody. The trial will restart on July 4. The Central Bureau of Investigation also arrested Indrani’s husband Peter Mukerjea in connection with the case.
2. Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her first marriage. Indrani has a son, Mikhail, who accused her of trying to poison him during a visit to Mumbai, based on which the CBI added a charge of attempt to murder against her.
3. Indrani is the daughter of a well-known businessman in Guwahati. Her 2002 marriage to Peter was her third. She was earlier married to Sanjeev Khanna and before that to Siddharth Das, who is from Tripura. Das is said to be Sheena’s and Mikhail’s biological father.
4. In January this year, a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court charged Indrani, Peter and Sanjeev Khanna with murder, conspiracy, kidnapping, destroying evidence and giving false information.
5. The court also charged Indrani, 45, with providing forged documents. However, it dropped charges of cheating, forgery for cheating and causing hurt with poison against the accused.
6. Rai volunteered to be a witness for the prosecution and was made an approver. In his confession, which was recorded in Hindi, Rai said Indrani contacted him through her personal assistant, Kajal Sharma, in the last week of March 2012. He said Indrani spoke to him on Skype and revealed her plans to kill Sheena and Mikhail.
7. Police found skeletal remains in a Raigad jungle. A DNA test confirmed these were Sheena’s. Police seized a bag from Indrani’s Worli residence, which they believe was to be used to carry Mikhail’s body in after he was murdered. The bag was sent for forensic analysis
8. CBI officials said Peter and Indrani were equal participants in the conspiracy hatched to eliminate Sheena. Both were against her relationship with Peter’s son, Rahul. The agency said Indrani and Peter were constantly in touch over the phone, even when Peter went to London. After allegedly disposing of Sheena’s body on August 25, 2012, Indrani spoke to Peter for 15 minutes. Call data records (CDR) obtained by the CBI show that Peter and Indrani spoke for four minutes at 13.36 pm, a few hours before the murder. They also exchanged messages. The CBI listed as many as 52 witnesses; the statements of around 38 are part of the supplementary charge sheet.
9. The CBI also named Indrani and Peter in a case of criminal conspiracy, cheating and corruption allegedly involving former Union finance minister P Chidambaram’s son Karti. In May this year, Idrani said she knew Karti and his father, but denied any wrongdoing. Karti allegedly facilitated the foreign investment promotion board approval to INX Media when the Mukerjeas were the firm’s directors.
10. Indrani had moved a special CBI court in January this year, seeking permission to divorce co-accused Peter. Indrani said she wanted to change her will and donate her money to charitable organisations.