Mumbai: Two dead in fire at residential building in Cuffe Parade
Two people were killed as a fire broke out at the Maker Chamber A wing on Vaswani road, Nariman point, Mumbai on Tuesday morning.mumbai Updated: Oct 18, 2016 12:11 IST
Two people were killed and seven injured when a fire broke out in an upscale residential society in South Mumbai’s Cuff Parade on Tuesday morning.
After a couple of hours of firefighting, officials said the blaze was brought under control.
The fire apparently began at around 6:30 am at Maker Chamber A wing, in Cuff Parade, on the 20th and 21st floor. The two floors, part of a duplex residential flat, is connected by an internal staircase, and belonged to Shekhar Bajaj, the managing director of Bajaj Electricals.
“Fire was confined to household articles, electric wirings, furniture, false ceiling, etc. on 20th & 21st floor in an area of about 3,000 square feet each room”, an official said.
The two killed in the fire worked as domestic help at Bajaj’s house, according to Birhanmumbai Municpal Corporation officials. The injured were taken to Saint George hospital for further treatment.
Eleven people were rescued from the high-rise tower, including eight of the Bajaj’s family.
Firefighters responded to a distress call in the morning, sending across eight fire engines, six jumbo tankers, one aerial ladder platform, one high pressure van and one breathing apparatus van along with one ambulance.
(With inputs from agencies)
First Published: Oct 18, 2016 08:45 IST