Class 9 student dies with asthma during school party in Mumbai
“Fernandes was asthmatic and had a bout of breathlessness during the party. Unfortunately, she was not carrying her pump. The teachers rushed her to the hospital but the doctors could not save her,” said the school principal.mumbai Updated: Mar 12, 2017 00:57 IST
A Class 9 student died with asthma on Friday while she was hosting a party for her seniors.
Fifteen-year-old Svetlana Fernandes was a Mulund resident and a student of Billabong High International School in Thane.
Speaking about the incident, Ranjini Krishnaswamy, the director- principal of Billabong High International School in Thane, said, “The incident did not happen within the school premises. Fernandes was a part of the group that was hosting a farewell party for Class 10 students as their board exams just got over.”
She added, “Fernandes was asthmatic and had a bout of breathlessness during the party. Unfortunately, she was not carrying her pump. The teachers rushed her to the hospital but the doctors could not save her.” The school authorities, however, refused to comment on whether they were aware about Fernandes’ medical condition or not.
Navin Augustine, a Thane resident whose daughter is studying in the same school, said, “It was an unfortunate incident. School authorities take details of the students’ medical conditions such as allergy and update it regularly.”
He added, “We also have to provide the details of our family doctor along with line of treatment. What happened appears to have been just an accident.”
One of Fernandes’ classmate said, “She was a charming girl, always bubbly full of energy. She was a brilliant student who was a favourite among her friends and teachers. We are yet to actually believe that she is no more with us.
Fernandes was the only child of her parents. Her father was in Hong Kong when he got the news. He will reach Mumbai on Sunday. The teen’s funeral will take place on Sunday at Mulund Cemetry in Mulund (East).
An officer from Shrinagar police station in Thane said,”The student was initially taken to Shree Hospital but as it did not have ICU facility, she was shifted to Dhanwantri Hospital in Mulund where she was declared dead by the doctors.” The place where the students were having the party fell under the jurisdiction of the Shrinagar police but since the deceased was from Mulund, the case was transferred to the Mulund (West) police station.
“We have filed an accidental death report. The family members have not filed any complaints yet,” said an officer from Mulund west police station said.
First Published: Mar 12, 2017 00:39 IST