Food poisoning: 19 people taken ill after Cidco event in Navi Mumbai
Hospital says they fell ill after having dessert at event, in which 6,000 people participatedmumbai Updated: Feb 11, 2018 01:12 IST
As many as 19 people were admitted to a hospital after they consumed food served in at an event organised by the City and Industrial Development Corporation (Cidco) at Vashi on Friday night.
The annual function of the town planning agency was held at the Cidco Exhibition Center at Sector 30. Around 6,000 people attended the daylong programme.
After dinner, some people complained of uneasiness. Many started vomiting and some others complained of loose motion. They were taken to MGM hospital.
“Nineteen people, including three women, were admitted to our hospital at night. While some of them are employee of Cidco, others were invitees. Between 10.30pm and 11pm, their condition deteriorated and we shifted 15 of them to the emergency ward,” said Dr PK Sashankar, administrator of MGM hospital.
“We discharged eight of them on Saturday. We are now treating the rest,” he said.
“Initially, they said that the food they had consumed at the event was good. But they started having complications after having dessert. The police officers visited the hospital on Saturday and took the people’s statements,” he said.
Mohan Ninawe, senior public relations officer of Cidco, said, “All those who were admitted to the hospital are fine and they will be discharged soon. We have informed the police about the incident and they are doing the necessary inquiry.”
Sudhakar Pathare, deputy commissioner of police (zone 1), however, said no compliant has been registered so far as Cidco officials have refused to file one.
“Although we do not have a complaint, we are conducting inquiries at our level,” he said.
First Published: Feb 11, 2018 01:12 IST