Scare at Mumbai airport: Indigo flier opens emergency door, co-passenger hurt
The flier was offloaded and taken to the police station.mumbai Updated: Feb 11, 2017 01:38 IST
An IndiGo Airlines passenger was hurt on-board a Chandigarh-bound flight on Friday after a co-passenger inadvertently rolled out the aircraft’s emergency chutes, sparking a safety scare.
The inflated escape chutes are normally deployed by the crew during fire evacuations.
A Mumbai airport official confirmed the incident. “The incident took place around 11 am. It led to the packed flight being held up for nearly two hours,” said the official. There were 176 passengers on-board.
“IndiGo confirms the unruly passenger behaviour reported on flight 6E 4134 from Mumbai to Chandigarh, this morning. Just after boarding was completed and the aircraft was stationary, a passenger seated on 12C suddenly opened the emergency exit door and inflated the slide. IndiGo staff observed this and immediately alerted the captain-in-command. In the process, a passenger seated on 12A was bruised,” said an IndiGo spokesperson.
“The flier was handed over to security staff and the CISF at the Mumbai airport,” the spokesperson added.
“Any untoward behaviour that compromises the safety of our passengers, crew or the aircraft is of serious concern. IndiGo has filed a complaint against this passenger. This matter is now with the local authorities. We regret the inconvenience caused to other passengers,” said the spokesperson.
First Published: Feb 10, 2017 14:28 IST