Mumbai man electrocuted while clicking Durga immersion pictures
According to the FIR, the victim, Vicki Pawar, was part of the immersion procession when while taking a photograph of the festivities, he went near the Shyamnagar lake’s boundary wall and accidentally touched a live wire of a broken lampmumbai Updated: Oct 04, 2017 09:27 IST
The Meghwadi police have registered a first information report (FIR) for negligence against unknown Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) officials and a contractor after a 22-year-old was electrocuted after coming in contact with a live wire during the immersion procession on the last day of Navratri at a Jogeshwari lake.
According to the FIR, a copy of which is with Hindustan Times, the victim, Vicki Pawar, was part of the immersion procession when while taking a photograph of the festivities, he went near the Shyamnagar lake’s boundary wall and accidentally touched a live wire of a broken lamp.
“The lake comes under the jurisdiction of the BMC and they are responsible for looking after its maintenance and repairs,” said Amit Pawar, the victim’s cousin brother who registered the police complaint.
“Didn’t they know that during immersion procession, lakhs of people come here and such an incident could happen? It could have been anyone. Unfortunately it was my little brother. He was the only son and the sole bread winner for his family. He had just found a job after completing his graduation. His father is a rickshaw driver.”
The Meghwadi police have booked unknown BMC officials and the contractor, who was entrusted the job of maintaining the lights near the lake, under section 304A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Despite repeated phone calls and SMSes, assistant municipal commissioner of K-east ward, DK Jain, remained unavailable for a comment.
First Published: Oct 04, 2017 09:27 IST