Navi Mumbai civic body gets 34-acre plot at Turbhe for dumping ground
Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis sanctioned a 34-acre land in Turbhe at almost half the price that was demanded earlier.mumbai Updated: Jan 18, 2018 00:41 IST
The civic body’s long pending demand for a dumping ground has finally been met. Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis sanctioned a 34-acre land in Turbhe at almost half the price that was demanded earlier.
The Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation (NMMC) will have to pay Rs192 crore for the plot, which is near the existing dumping ground at Turbhe. The land can be used to gradually shift the dumping ground.
On Tuesday, MLA Manda Mhatre and NMMC commissioner Ramaswamy N met revenue minister Chandrakant Patil on the issue.
Ramaswamy N said, “We had been asking the government to give the land at no cost or nominal cost of Rs5 crore to Rs10 crore. The minister has given us a huge discount of almost 50% and instalment for 10 years.”
Mhatre said that Fadnavis sanctioned the proposal on Wednesday. The dumping ground issue had become a burning topic with the locals led by corporator Suresh Kulkarni demanding the closure of the existing landfill site.
On the issue of shifting of the existing landfill site, Ramswamy said, “We will go according to plan. The existing cell is saturated. We will go to new cells in phases. This land will be used in the future. It will take care of the next 50 years for a dumping ground.”
Mhatre said that Rs92 crore has been waived off while sanctioning the plot. “The minister also gave 10 instalments for the payment of Rs100 crore by NMMC. The minister ordered levelling of the plots.”